Breaking News

homeschooling:Public resources available to those who study from home

Public resources available to those who study from home

At a Glance

Some states allow students who receive homeschooling to participate in public school classes and extracurricular activities.

In other states, this decision remains in the hands of individual school districts.
Ask your school district what resources are available.

homeschooling, home education, MBA Online
Homeschooling could be a good option for some children who have learning and care difficulties. It allows family members to work closely with their children and usually fewer distractions at home than at school.

But getting homeschooling has some drawbacks. One of them is that social interaction is limited. Another, that services are limited or non-existent.

Fortunately, there are public resources available for children who are educated in the home who can eliminate those disadvantages (unschooling or self-learning, is a type of home education that supports less in a curriculum and encourages children to learn Based on their passions and interests. The same regulations and resources apply to homeschooling and self-learning.

Public school activities and classes for students who are educated in their home.

Some families are concerned that if their children are educated in the home they will not have important experiences. You may be wondering if your children will be able to participate in public school activities such as sports or the music band. or whether they will be able to attend certain classes in the public school that has better resources, such as science lab classes.

The answers to these questions vary by state and sometimes even depend on the school district. Receiving home education is a national right, but having access to public school resources is not.

There are currently 22 states that allow a certain level of access to classes and activities. But for that, children often need to meet certain requirements to participate. For example, they may have to show proof that they are approving the core subjects.

The states that allow access are Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, and Wyoming.

In other states, the decision is left in the hands of school districts. This summary will inform you of what your state allows.

Either way, you may want to contact your local school district to find out what kind of access they allow. If you don't know your school district, this tool is a good resource.

Support for children with learning and care difficulties

Children who qualify and attend public schools have a legal right to special education services. These services include adaptations, assistive technology, occupational therapy and speech therapy.

But what if your child is being brought up in the house? Could you also benefit from those free resources?

The simple answer is yes. But you will need to enroll in the public school part-time or full-time.

First, you need to be assessed to determine if you qualify for your school district's school education services. If the results show that your child is eligible, the district must provide the services free of charge. But only if you attend a public school, at least part-time.

Know your options

To find out what resources are available for your child, you need to contact your local school district. But even if your child is not able to access those resources, there are ways to create some of the opportunities that public school provides.

You can communicate with other families in your area of residence whose children receive homeschooling and work with them to form sports teams, organize excursions and find help. You can also review these home education organizations in your state that are affiliated with the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA).

Key points

Certain states allow students who receive education in their homes to have access to some public school resources.  

Children with learning and care difficulties may need to be enrolled in part-time in public schools for the state to pay for adaptations such as assistive technology. 
You can also find help and resources through home education organizations.

No hay comentarios